Skip to Main Content
Ely Library at Westfield State University
The Ely Instruction Program seeks to guide students in the development of critical thinking skills which will enable them to be competent and insightful users of information. In this endeavor we look to collaborate with department faculty of the University. Faculty members who are interested in scheduling a library session are encouraged to contact us to discuss the learning objectives of their courses and we will work to tailor sessions to the students' needs.
Goals of the Information Instruction Program:
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to promote information literacy across the curriculum
- Support members of the campus community by facilitating access to the library's collection of resources
- Provide students with the tools, resources and research skills necessary to complete course assignments
- Assess the effectiveness of our instruction, and use the findings to continually improve our instruction
- Accommodate different learning styles by using a variety of instructional techniques
- Investigate new instructional technologies for use in the Information Instruction Program
- Provide a welcoming environment for a culturally diverse population
Request Class Instruction
|The form linked above may also be used to request instruction
for Education classes and classes associated with the
Teacher Education Program.
- Faculty are expected to attend the session(s) with their class(es)
- Schedule sessions as soon as possible. At least two weeks advance notice is required to assure available times and to allow the Librarians time for class-specific preparation
- Schedule one or more sessions. Follow-up sessions are encouraged, provided enough time is allowed for preparation of materials.
- The Library Computer Lab is only used for classes in conjunction with an information instruction session. Faculty may not hold a class in the Library Computer Lab without a librarian present. Use of the Library Computer Lab outside of the information instruction schedule is reserved for open computer lab use by all students.
- Classes may be scheduled to review primary source materials from the University Archives... more information