Multicultural & Diversity Teaching Ideas
Multicultural authors & works
Use the Quicksearch Advanced Search to find more multicultural children's fiction.
- For picture books type in NU: PZ1000* as a keyword (Substitute PZ7* for chapter books).
- On the next search bar, enter a group's name as key words such as Korean Americans or Caribbean.
Searching for items in the Education Resources Center
Materials in the Education Resources Center include: books, big books, games, unit plans, textbooks, lesson plans, activity books, kits and education software packages that you can borrow and use to enrich and add interest to lesson plans and classes you will teach as a student teacher.
For education research related to theory, see the Education Guide.
To search for materials in the ERC, follow these simple instructions.
From the Ely Library QuickSearch:
- In the search box, type in a topic, author, or title
- Change the right hand drop down to Education Resources Center and click the Magnifying Glass
- All listed items will be located in the ERC
- In order to search for Picture Books on specific topics, you will still need to use the Advanced Search option
- See tips below to search for picture books
Searching for Picture Books
To find a picture book in the Education Resources Center, use Ely Library QuickSearch:
- Click on Advanced Search over the search box.
- In the “Keyword” box, type in NU: PZ1000*
- If you are searching for books by an author, type the name in "quotation marks" in the search box next to Author.
- If you wish to search for a topic instead, change the drop down box to Keyword and type in your topic.
- Enter your search terms in the search box
NOTE: For this search you do not need to limit to Education Resources Collection. There are no PZ call numbers in the stack!
Visual Thinking Strategies
Visual Thinking Strategies: Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) is a specific approach to whole-class viewing and talking about art that primarily uses these questions:
- What do you notice?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What more can we find?