State College Ely Library
General BusinessFile ASAP
on Netscape at any networked workstationon
At the Ely Library Home Page, click on General
BusinessFile ASAP (listed under Quick Links to Databases).
Click on Proceed at the next screen; then
on General BusinessFile ASAP at the Database List.
Retrieval Screens: The Subject Guide:displays
articles by category
- Search Screen: Allows you to search by Subject, Keyword,Relevance,
or do an Advanced Search with terms that you supply. Just select
your searching method on the left; at the next screen, type your terms
in the dialog box and click on Search or press enter
on your keyboard.
apple computer and jn forbes (for articles on Apple Computer Corp
- Subject Guide Search: Lets you search for major headings that
contain your search words. This produces a list that groups articles by
their main headings for easier review.
- Keyword Search: Searches the author, citation, or abstract fields,
or the full text for all articles that contain your search words and produces
a citation list with the most recent articles listed first.
- Relevance Search: Searches the author, citation, or abstract fields,
or the full text all articles that contain your search words and word
variants and produces a list sorted by relevance (word occurrence).
- Advanced Search: Searches various indexes that you select:
journal (jn), publication date (da), keyword (ke),
author (au), subject (su), and title (ti), and SIC
ke switzerland and da before 1995 (for articles on switzerland before
1995). Result sets
from two or more
searches can be combined : example R1 and R2 and jn
View: brings you to a citation list for this heading:
Read: Takes you to the main entry for the company
with links to articles and Investment Reports about the company.
See Also: Shows you Related Subjects
The Citation List:displays
a list that matches your search term(s). Clicking the following performs:
Article Screen: displays the full text of one article with
graphics. Several Printing Options are available:
- View lets you see the articles, e.g. the full text of the article,
citation info, abstract.
- Mark bookmarks an article for later review or printing..
- Select all items on this page - Clicking in the box Marks
all articles on the page to print.
- Limit Search lets you add more words to your search, or limit your
found citations to articles with Full Text, or articles in Refereed
Publications, or limit by year of publication.
Advanced Searching: [Recommended
when searching for company or
- Printing from Netscape: Prefer Print or E-Mail or
Retrieval for printing (see below). Click on Print; at the
next screen click OK. Printing from Netscape may cut off some text
on the right side of the page and print the graphics in an irregular format.
- Printing from Print: At full record display for a Full Text document,
click on Print, then click OK.
- Printing from E-Mail or Retrieval: Click on E-Mail or Retrieval(on
the left) to get the options for printing a copy of the record you're
viewing: Browser Print or Acrobat Reader.
- Browser Print means to print the record using your Web browser.
Clicking on the Reformat link displays the record again
with any graphics rendered at full size and in the correct position. Wait
until the browser indicates that the document is done. Click on Print;
at the next screen click OK.
- Acrobat Reader lets you read and print documents in Portable
Document Format (PDF). Clicking on the Retrieve link downloads
an image of the item as it appeared in print to your system. To print,
click on the printer icon on the left just above the document.
Then click OK.
- Email delivery: Enter your email address, select the
record format that you want to mail, and click on Submit
Note that some index choices end with the word list, such as "Journal
Name list." These "lists" let you browse and select from a list
of index entries that you want to search. A successful search or
a selection from a browse list produces a search result that looks something
like this: R1 ke "apprenticeship" (47 hits)In
this example, "R1" is the result of the first search. The "ke"
abbreviation indicates that the
key word index was searched.
You can highlight any search result and click on [View] to see citations.
- Choose a search index (you can search by journal (jn), publication
date (da), keyword (ke), author (au), subject (su),
and title (ti), and SIC Code (si) etc.). Keyword is the default
Click in the entry box and enter one or more words
Click on [Search] Or select
other components for searching:
Company Profiles - For articles , investment
reports, subsidiaries, and SIC's about a specific company.
- SIC Description - Enter a Standard Industrial
Code (SIC) here and find a brief description, links to companies with this
SIC, articles about the industry, and information about the Parent SIC Group.
Investext - Provides company reports including
annual reports when available.
Maintained by Oliver Zeff
Last Updated January 25, 2008